Produce Information / Storage Tips
Use a Bluapple® to absorb ethylene gas to extend the life of produce.
Bittermelon; Bitter gourd
Indications of Quality
Select bitter melons that are small, bright green, firm and without blemish or mold. Bright dark green specimens will be less bitter tasting.
Ideal Storage Conditions
Temperature: 35 to 40 F (2 to 5 C)
Relative Humidity: 85 to 90%
Approximate Storage Life: 3-5 days*
Ethylene Production: Low
Ethylene Sensitivity: Moderate
Bittermelon is a fruit/vegetable that is native to tropical India and Africa. They are popular in curries, stir-fries and soups.
- Do not wash before storing
- Wrap in a dry HydroLiner, and place inside a VeggieZips bag
- Place inside the refrigerator as soon as possible after purchase
- Will keep 3-5 days
* Approximate storage life is an estimate of in-home storage length. Your results may vary significantly depending on how long produce is in transit or in stock at the market.
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh